Going vegan does not mean giving up everything you like. These accidentally vegan items are common and widely available and will keep you satiated.
If you’re in a hurry and don’t get a chance to purchase vegan alternatives, you can quickly buy many items off the shelf.
Some of the basic, everyday foods you eat are vegan by accident.
- Dry pasta
- Baked beans
- Ketchup and mustard
- Nut butters – peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc.
- French fries
- Oatmeal – made with plant milk
Chips and Biscuits
Did you know that many snack foods are accidentally vegan? You can still enjoy your favourite treats!
- Monaco biscuits
- Hide ‘n’ Seek biscuits and Choco Rolls
- 50-50 biscuits
- Potato chips
- Lays – Spanish Tomato Tango, Magic Masala, Classic Salted
- Uncle Chipps
- McVities Digestive biscuits
- Harvey’s Wafer Biscuits (Chocolate)
Snacks and Sides
Plenty of snacks and side dishes are vegan-friendly.
- Veg Momos
- Pani Puri/Gol Gappe
- Chili Potatoes
- Spring Rolls
- Bhel Puri
- Frozen Potato products (without cheese)
- Chaat (with vegan yogurt)
- Sweet corn/Bhutta (with vegan butter)
- Vada pav
- Kachori (fried in oil)
- Pakora – bread, potato, onion, vegetable, dal, etc.
- Soya Chaap
Many people think you have to give up your favourite dishes to become vegan, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. These accidentally vegan dishes prove that!
- South Indian cuisine – idli, vada, dosa
- Chhole Bhature
- Pav Bhaji (with vegan butter)
- Manchurian with rice/noodles (without paneer/with tofu)
- Puri bhaji
- Chana Kulcha
Look out for these vegan-friendly sweets in the supermarket.
- Kaju Katli – most are vegan, but some have a coating of ghee on the box, so check the label
- Morde Baking Chocolate Compound (Dark)
We also have a list of Vegan Essentials in India, so be sure to check it out before your next shop!