Pre-heat the oven the 180 degrees celsius.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarb into a large bowl. Gently stir through the caster sugar.
- Peel and boil the beetroot for around an hour and then puree in a blender. Whisk together with the golden syrup and balsamic.
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler and add to puree – stir until smooth.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients. Gently fold and transfer to a lined cake tin. Bake for 30-35 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting – to make the cake completely even and suitable for the raspberry topping, slice off the top with a serrated knife.
- Mix the icing sugar and cocoa powder together before adding the water and beating with a spatula until thick and smooth. Spread over the whole cake using a palette knife – or, in my case, a gifted butter knife.
- Muddle the raspberries, leaving a few whole before stirring through the icing sugar. Just before serving top the cake with the raspberry mixture and slice.
If you’d like to try more sweet plant-based treats, why not read our favourite vegan desserts blog-post for inspiration?