This is just the basic recipe, you can really get creative with this dish. Some ideas of extra ingredients to play with are mango, peanuts, chives, spring onions, radishes, cabbage…
- Arrange all the ingredients so that they are easy to access. The rice paper rolls are very delicate, and get sticky when drying. I have found that the quicker you make the rolls, and the less you handle them you lower the chances of them breaking up. Having said that, do not worry if the paper rips. Just try and minimize the damage, they become much more solid after 15minutes or so. And they taste so good no one will notice the small tears trust me!
- Place one sheet of rice paper into a bowl of warm water. Leave for approximately 30seconds or until the sheet becomes malleable.
- Take the rice paper out of the bowl and place on a clean plate. Add a small amount of each ingredient, making sure no hard bits are sticking out that could damage the paper.
- Now it is time to roll. Fold in 2 opposing sides of the rice paper as tightly as possible. Then take the third side and fold over, making sure it is tight and roll it over the fourth side to completely seal the summer roll.
- For the dipping sauce mix the ingredients in a small bowl.