This rich, Spicy Marinara Sauce will transform your favourite pizza and pasta dishes. It's simple to make and bursting with flavour.
- Thinly slice the garlic and chop the onion.
- Add the oil to a frying pan and heat to moderate temperature. Add the chopped onion and garlic and stir. Once softened, add the paprika, cumin, cayenne and oregano and leave for a minute to release the flavours.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes, purée and balsamic vinegar, stirring well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Pour back into the pan, add the salt and pepper, and leave to reduce further. Simmer for at least another 10 minutes.
- If you’re not using the sauce straight away, leave to cool then transfer into a sterilised jar. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
NOTES: If you are using fresh tomatoes rather than tinned, add an extra tbsp of pepper or tomato purée.