Black beans are a great base for burgers - tasty, protein-rich and filling. We like to serve these burgers in a bun with cashew cheese, guacamole and a crisp fresh salad.
Makes 8 patties.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees
- Wash sweet potatoes and cut into cubes, leaving the skin on.
- Place into a steamer and steam until soft. This takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse black beans, place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add onion, coriander, sweet corn, paprika, garlic, cumin and chilli powder to the mixture.
- When the sweet potatoes are ready place in a separate mixing bowl and mash with the back of a fork or a masher until creamy.
- Add the black bean mixture and 1 cup of crushed tortilla chips to the sweet potato mixture and mix well.
- On a separate plate/bowl pour ¼ cup of polenta flour ready to coat the patties.
- Prepare the mixture into the patty size desired, roll in polenta flour until they are completely coated and set aside on a baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper.
- Brush a small amount of oil onto each patty, place in the oven and bake for around 30-40 minutes, flipping them halfway. The longer you bake them the firmer and drier they will get.
- Serve with your favourite filling.