Lots of what you already eat is vegan!
Many well-known products are vegan purely by accident, and we've listed some of our favourites below...
The More Obvious…
- Pasta (dry): almost all dried pasta is made without egg and is therefore 100% vegan
- Baked Beans
- Tinned/Canned Spaghetti
- Yeast extracts like Vegemite
- Most fresh bread is vegan and Ciabatta, by its very nature, is always vegan as it is made with olive oil
- Peanut Butter
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup
- HP/Brown sauce
- Mustard: whether it’s Dijon, wholegrain, English or American
- Branston Pickle
- Hot sauces like Tabasco and Siracha
- Rice noodles: when ordering a Chinese takeaway, just ask for rice rather than egg noodles
- Jam: typically made with pectin (to thicken) rather than gelatin
- Chips/French fries: if cooked in veggie oil then they are vegan!
- Porridge/Oatmeal: when made with water or plant milk
- Crumpets: Mighty Soft and Wonder White
- Bagels: New York Bagel Co.
- Oreos: Original and Chocolate
- Arnott’s: Chocolate Ripple, Raspberry Shortcake, Gingernut
- Doritos: Chilli Heatwave and Original
- Fox’s Chunkie Cookies: Dark Chocolate, Party Rings
- Walkers Crisps: Ready Salted, Salt and Vinegar and Prawn Cocktail
- Pringles: Original, BBQ Sauce
- Mr Kipling Jam Tarts
- McVities Fruit Shortcake Biscuits
- Ritz Crackers: Original
- Kettle Chips: Sea Salt, Kettle Original Salted, Chilli, Root Vegetable Chips – Sweet Potato, Beetroot
- French Fries: Original, Salt and Vinegar
- Ritter Sport chocolate: Dark and Extra Fine Dark
- Wrigley’s Chewing Gums: Airwaves, Juicy Fruit, Hubba Bubba Strawberry
- Sweet William Chocolate: Original, Rice Crackle and White Buttons, Chocolate Spread
- Lindt Chocolate Bars: 70%, 85%, 90%
- Orgran: Outback Animals Cookies – Chocolate, Vanilla
- HomeBrand: Garlic Bread
- Coles: Curry Pot Vegetable Samosas, Vegetable Cocktail Spring Rolls
- Coles: Praise 99% Fat Free Mayonnaise (Light)
Beers and Ciders…
- Weston’s: All
- Old Mout: All (Only in Australia and New Zealand)
- Aspall’s: All
- Merry down: All
- Brother’s: All, including fruit flavours
- Brown Brothers: Dolcetto Syrah, Cienna, Cienna Rosso
- De Bortoli: Gulf Station Pinot, Gulf Station Cabernet Sauvignon, Windy Peak Chardonnay, Windy Peak Cabernet Merlot
- Yellow Tail: Shiraz, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio
- Southern Comfort
- Malibu Rum
- Absolut Vodka
- Captain Morgan Rum
- Gordon’s Gin
- Coca Cola
- Schweppes Lemonade
- 7 UP
- Powerade: All varieties
For more information on alcohol please have a look at our Label Reading Guide.
- We have not included the obvious plant foods in the lists below (fruits, vegetables, grains, pulses, legumes, dried fruit, nuts, pickled vegetables, oilves etc.), but they are most definitely vegan!
- Ingredients can alter from brand to brand, so do not assume just because an item is vegan in one store that it will also be in another. For help reading labels please see our Vegan Label Reading Guide.
- This is by no means a complete list. There have never been so many vegan and vegan-friendly products as there are now, and more are coming on the market every day. Please visit our Product Directory for listings of vegan products.
- Check this list out too, courtesy of Vegan Wiki!
- On Instagram? Follow @weareveganuary for regular Accidentally Vegan product posts!
- Know of an accidentally vegan product that’s not listed above? Please comment below and we will add it. Thank you!