Our resident athlete adventurer will attempt to run 30 marathons, in 30 days, on a treadmill in his kitchen whilst he taste-tests 30 different breakfasts to see which comes out on top!
Ever wanted to know the best breakfast to fuel a marathon? Me too! Which is why (as part of Veganuary) I decided to start the year by running 30 marathons over 30 days whilst trialing a new breakfast each day in an event I’m calling: Man Vs (Marathon) Food. Expelling many myths about vegan athletes, it’s my hope each plant-powered recipe will help people understand the power of a vegan-based diet and rethink how they fuel their 2017 fitness goals.
Documenting every nutrient-dense delicacy, this is what will fuel the first marathon on the 2nd of January 2017 at 5:00am:
Peanut Butter and Blueberry Protein Porridge
Do you love peanut butter? And fresh fruit? How about chocolate? If you do, then this may be the best vegan snack you ever tried to fuel a run or workout routine.
- 2 scoops of oats
- 1 handful of blueberries
- 1 chopped banana
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 heaped tsp of cacao nibs
- 30g scoop of chocolate diet vegan protein
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 spoonful of flaxseed (optional)
How to Make:
- Mix the oats and almond milk into a bowl
- Stir and place in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Add the cacao nibs and flaxseed and stir into the bowl
- Add blueberries and chopped banana on top
Man Vs (Marathon) Food: The Results
- Taste and Texture: I love every single ingredient in this recipe and when served warm I could quite happily make up my calorie (energy) requirements for every marathon on this. The only issue I find is it tastes too good and I could have quite happily eaten four bowls and then curled up on the sofa in a comfy, warm, snug food coma. Thankfully I didn’t and completed my first marathon in a (semi) decent time.
- Running Time: 3 Hours 28 Minutes
- Digestibility: Personally speaking, I always find your choice of marathon fuel should be a perfect balance between making sure you feel you’ve eaten something substantial whilst at the same time not “weighing you down” by being too “heavy”. For me Peanut Butter and Blueberry Protein Porridge strikes this balance (providing you only have one bowl before lacing up your trainers).