Hi, my name is Anneka Svenska, I am a UK TV presenter who heads up the juicing page for Vegan Charity Viva! and also my own website as ‘The Little Green Angel’ where I blog about green environmental issues and present television Vlogs in order to help animals, increase health and inspire people to live a Greener Life.
I have been a vegan and juicing for over 12 months now and a staunch vegetarian since childhood. I went 100% vegan 12 months ago for ethical and health reasons combined, as milk products are not as healthy as everyone presumes they are and they also result in the death of many animals every year in the egg and the milking industry. Hormones in milk products have been found to perhaps contribute towards certain cancers and egg production results in the deaths of thousands of male chicks every month.
I would like to inspire people to go Vegan this ‘Veganuary’ by providing you with a few of my favourite and very easy juicing / smoothie recipes to get you all started on changing your life around and going 100% vegan.
It’s very easy to start juicing and it doesn’t matter if you have a centrifugal juicer or a slow masticating juicer as once you get going, you will surely get addicted to the amazing healthy feeling that will take over your life. When I first started I was filled with an abundance of energy never felt before and this winter I am the only person in my group of friends who hasn’t come down with a cold. I am sure its because I am taking my full quota of vitamins the natural, through fruit and veg, how nature intended us to.
Its best to take in more vegetable juices than fruit smoothies due to the fructose content, so I tend to have 1-2 vegetable juices a day and 1 fruit smoothie as a treat. My general diet is mainly raw solid and it’s important to balance your diet with both solid food and juices so your digestive system gets a good work out. Also the fibre in solid vegetable is very good for you.
My first recipe is a good clean green health juice which I use as a pick me up before I go to the gym. It contains most of your daily vitamins in one quick shot and also some ingredients which are considered to be ‘super foods’ which have been suggested to have anti-cancer properties.
Anneka’s Super Green Angel Juice
- 1 stick of celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 apple
- 1 slice of fennel
- 1 cm of fresh ginger
- 3 inches of cucumber
- 1 pinch + of cayenne powder – add a little and taste. Add more if you like it spicier.
- Sprinkle of turmeric
- 1 tsp powdered wheatgrass (verified by Celiac Society as gluten free)
- 1 tsp powdered spirulina
- Squeeze of fresh lime or lemon
- Prepare the veg by slicing it according to the size of your juicer
- Juice the celery, carrots, fennel, ginger, apple and cucumber & add a squeeze of the lemon/lime into the juice.
- Sprinkle the wheatgrass, spirulina, turmeric and cayenne pepper into your blender
- Pour the prepared juice onto the powders and blend together. Drink and feel INVIGORATED!!!
My second Recipe for Veganuary is a lovely Romantic Smoothie which will tickle the taste buds:
Anneka’s Pink Passion Smoothie
- Coconut Milk (to taste)
- 1 scoop Vegan flavourless Protein Powder
- Handful of Strawberries
- 1 Apple
- Organic Pomegranate juice (to taste)
- ½ tsp of Coconut oil
- Soya Strawberry yoghurt (one small container)
- Edible rose petals
- Juice the apple
- Chop the strawberries
- Blend the apple juice, strawberries with the coconut milk, pomegranate juice, vegan protein powder and vegan yoghurt.
- Heat the coconut oil in the microwave in a small dish until it melts and gradually add to the blender as it spins, so it mixes in thoroughly with the blended ingredients.
- Pour into a glass and sprinkle on rose petals to finish. Drink and feel all fruity.
If you would like to read more about why I feel it is so life-changing to become Vegan, please drop by my page ‘Anneka’s Green World’ at www.annekasvenska.com