This recipe is based on the most famous Irish staple, the potato. It has both mashed potato and grated potato. Many Irish people will remember this from their childhoods or maybe many still make it today.
Makes 4/5 slices of boxty bread.
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Put half your potatoes on to boil.
- Grate the other half of your potatoes into a bowl.
- Put the grated potatoes into a tea-towel and squeeze out all the liquid until you have the dried potato gratings.
- When the other potatoes are boiled mash them well using a potato masher.
- Combine the grated potatoes and mashed potatoes in a bowl and add salt and pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of flour into the potato mixture a mix in with your hands until you have a type of potatoey dough.
- Sprinkle some flour over a dry counter and knead your dough for a few minutes.
- Using a floured rolling pin roll out the dough and cut into squares or “farls”. The recipe I followed said to roll it out thinly but you can roll it out to whatever thickness you want.
- Melt some vegan butter in a hot frying pan and add your boxty cakes to the pan. Brown them on each side and then lower the heat and let them cook through slowly. This should take around 10-15 minutes depending on how thick your boxty cakes are.
- Enjoy your boxty for breakfast with vegan sausages and ketchup, or for your dinner with thyme fried mushrooms, fried cabbage, beans and vegan sausages.