You might be vegan, but you can still have your cake and eat it! Using Flora Freedom means that this eggless chocolate cake recipe is full of dairy free deliciousness. For a little twist, why not try swapping the chocolate filling with a vegan cream alternative and fresh seasonal berries? Yum.
- Preheat oven to 180° C, 160° C fan, Gas mark 4.
- Add lemon juice to the milk and set aside.
- Sieve together the flour, cocoa, caster sugar and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the milk, melted Flora and golden syrup over the flour mixture and stir until it becomes a smooth batter.
- Halve the mixture between two 20cm greased and base lined sandwich tins and bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Check to see if your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of each half. If it comes out clean, leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, to make the icing beat together all ingredients until smooth.
- When the cakes are completely cold, sandwich together with half of the icing. Spread the remaining icing over the top of the cake.