I first started working with hearts of palm for a traditional vegan crab cake recipe. But then I thought, what else could I make in the seafood family? Aha! A Lobster Roll. I re-imagined this New England summertime favorite while maintaining traditional flavors and textures. Hey, vegan butter is just as good as the real thing.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the hearts of palm and sauté for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until golden brown on all sides. Set aside to cool. Add the celery and peppers and mix well.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the onion mixture to the hearts of palm. Mix well. Add the Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, and mayo.
- Toast the hoagie rolls until gold brown, then butter the insides.
- Divide the hearts of palm mixture between both rolls. Serve warm with wedges of lemon.