A perfect accompaniment to many Asian dishes. Goes well with a stirfry, curry, dhal, or whatever else takes your fancy!
- Heat a heavy based pot over medium heat and add ¼ cup of stock. When hot, add shallots, a pinch of salt and sweat (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and stir to combine. When fragrant, add turmeric.
- When onions and garlic are a dark yellow from turmeric, add rice and toast for 3 minutes. Add remaining stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- When rice is finished cooking, about 40 minutes, remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Combine rice with the mirin and shoyu. When combined, add almonds, coriander and spring onions.
- Serve hot with a generous topping of the sauce and some fresh greens.
Lemon Tahini and Miso Sauce:
Place all the ingredients marked (*) in a blender, add the water a ¼ cup at a time and blend to a cream.