(Very Important Protein) Burger
- Mince the seitan chunks by using a small hand grinder and transfer to a bowl.
- Crumble the tempeh in your fingers and add to the seitan.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the ground seitan and crumbled tempeh.
- Stir well to coat in oil and then add the shoyu sauce and water stir and then cover.
- Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Return the ingredients to the mixing bowl.
- Warm the wok or pan and add the oil.
- Stir in the garlic, celery, carrots, shallots, mushrooms, herbs and seasonings. Mix to coat all the contents in oil.
- Add the mirin and shoyu and pop the lid on the pan and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Place this mixture into the seitan/tempeh bowl and mix well. Sprinkle the flour on top and using a spatula blend and fold until you achieve a solid consistency.
- I then prefer to chill the mixture for one hour or more in the fridge to allow the mixture to stiffen.
- To make the burgers simply take one heaped tablespoon of mixture and roll in your hands, squeezing and then flatten into a burger shape.
- Warm the sunflower oil in a deep based pan and add the burgers, fry on each side for 5 minutes until crisp and golden.
Delicious served on toasted sourdough. Spread vegan mayonnaise on the bread; add a hefty layer of rocket or other salad greens (pre-dressed) in your favourite salad dressing. Pop on a burger and top with some homemade pickles or relish, sliced tomatoes or whatever your heart desires.