A very nice variation on a traditional recipe. It is faster than usual because it is thickened with creamy, protein-rich white beans instead of potato.
Serves 4 – quickest if a hand blender is used, as blending can be done directly in the pan
- In a medium-large saucepan, heat the margarine. When it is melted, add the oil. Fry the onion gently in the fat until it is translucent (softened but not brown).
- Add the watercress and sauté for another few minutes.
- Add the stock, parsley, beans and nutmeg. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Blend until smooth. Taste and season – add more salt/pepper/nutmeg as desired. Add the soya milk or soya cream at this point.
- Add the watercress sprigs just before serving.