We are looking for an experienced Head of Operations and Finance to join our growing international team and support us in our mission to create a better world for humans and animals alike.
Salary: range starting at £44,000 per year
Contract: full time / 37.5 hours per week / permanent
Reports to: CEO
Work base: home-based within the UK
Right to work requirements: eligible to work and travel in the UK
Veganuary is a non-profit organisation that encourages people worldwide to try vegan for January and beyond. Veganuary’s popular culture appeal, alongside our positive and accessible approach to veganism, is making a measurable difference for animals, sparing millions of lives since our launch in 2014.
Veganuary inspired and supported more than half a million people to try vegan during our 2021 campaign – with participants from over 200 countries and territories. We have worked with businesses to drive up vegan food provision in shops and restaurants, and have made veganism more visible and accessible through our work with national and international media.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Head of Operations and Finance will lead on financial management, supervise and optimise the organisation’s operations in the UK and support our growing international team in operational matters. Playing a pivotal part in the Senior Management Team you will be responsible for a broad span of duties, ensuring that Veganuary’s day-to-day operations, including governance, administration, HR, finance and IT and remain compliant, responsive and efficient.
We are looking for a skilled strategic thinker with a proactive approach to solving problems and a strong desire to build sound and efficient structures and processes that limit bureaucracy and drive growth.
Please apply immediately as we are looking to fill this role urgently and therefore, early applications are encouraged. We will review applications and hold interviews on a rolling basis for this reason.
- Line manage, develop and empower a small team of full-time and part-time staff including our HR Manager, Website and IT Manager and Operations Officer.
- Lead on the implementation of processes, protocols and policies to help optimise the organisation’s day-to-day operations.
- Be the main point of contact for all operational queries and support departments with compliance (e.g. write MoUs).
- Lead on all aspects of finance for Veganuary and Veganuary Trading, including the development and maintenance of robust financial processes, managing all internal accounting, and working with off-site financial and accounting services on all matters related to budgeting, revenue and expenses.
- Ensure that Veganuary’s multi-currency bookkeeping (Xero) is accurate, complete, and up to date, including bank reconciliations, prepayments and accruals, income, expenditure, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
- Produce monthly management accounts and cash flow, analyse variance.
- Lead the annual audit process and work closely with the Chief Executive to produce the statutory accounts and trustees annual report in accordance with the SORP.
- Support the management team with budget-setting and monitoring, reforecasting, cash flow and other financial tasks.
- Oversee and optimise international payments and contracts, prepare payment requests, process invoices and deal with supplier queries in a timely manner.
- Prepare and make Gift Aid claim submissions to HMRC.
- Manage financial record-keeping in line with the data retention policy and statutory requirements.
- Review and monitor levels of insurance and adequacy of cover.
- Oversee human resources (HR), including payroll (external providers in UK and Germany), utilization of our HR platform Breathe HRIS, recruitment and performance appraisal processes as well as HR policies and processes including staff wellbeing initiatives.
- Ensure charity, company and employment laws are followed and file all required reports and returns in a timely manner.
- Oversee management of IT systems and security, ensure they are fit for purpose and all systems are integrated (e.g. Asana with SharePoint) so that team members can work optimally.
- Oversee all aspects of office and admin management, including day-to-day office systems for security, maintenance and housekeeping.
- Oversee aspects of our internal project management through our project management tool Asana.
- Participate in Board meetings and Finance and Remuneration subcommittee meetings when required and provide secretariat to the Board.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Qualified finance professional with significant experience in preparation of budgets, monthly management accounts, forecasts, year-end financial statements, and other reports.
- Minimum of three years’ relevant experience in a similar role with demonstrable management and strategic experience at a senior level at a UK charity.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft 365 and experience of working with multiple currencies through an accountancy software (ideally Xero).
- Strong working knowledge of UK charity and employment law.
- Experience and knowledge in major donor giving, individual giving, and Gift Aid process.
- Effective at motivating and developing teams and inspiring them to produce amazing work.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines, coupled with a degree of flexibility.
- Self-motivated and able to work well in a team-driven environment.
- Exceptional organisational skills, including attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- You share and will support Veganuary’s values (see below)
Impact: we are committed to a vegan world; we will utilise research to evaluate how the highest number of lives can be spared and direct resources to that end.
Empowerment: we will optimise our outreach to support and encourage people on their vegan journey in a non-judgemental, positive, constructive and easily accessible way.
Collaboration: by partnering with other mission-driven organisations and working closely with corporates, we will make a bigger difference.
Diversity and inclusion: we know that it takes people with different ideas, strengths, interests and backgrounds to achieve our vision; we appreciate the value of this and how it brings us closer to achieving our mission.
Respect and integrity: in all internal and external relationships, we will strive for genuine, honest, and transparent communication.
Resilience: we will continue to create a professional and sustainable (human, social, economic and environmental) organisation.
Veganuary is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work culture that reflects and celebrates our diverse world. We therefore welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons, regardless of their ethnicity, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marriage and civil partnership status, or age.
We recognise our duty as an employer to foster an environment that embraces diversity and are constantly reviewing our practices to become even more inclusive as an organisation. We also recognise that certain groups in our industry are under-represented – we welcome applications from all who meet the role’s requirements and are making efforts to attract a diverse pool of candidates to combat the lack of representation.
All applications for this role must be submitted via the CharityJob website by Monday 08 November 2021 at 23:30 via the below link. Please apply immediately as we are looking to fill this role urgently and therefore, early applications are encouraged. We will review applications and hold interviews on a rolling basis for this reason. Please submit your application including your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words that answers the following questions:
- How did you hear about this role?
- Why do you want to work for Veganuary?
- What will you bring to our charity?
- When can you start?
- What is your salary expectation?
As an inclusive employer, reasonable adjustments can be made to allow any who require additional support to apply for this role. Please get in touch with us if you require such support.
Thank you for your interest in Veganuary!