We are looking for an experienced Legal Counsel to join our growing international team and support us in our mission to create a better world for humans and animals alike.
Salary: £35,000 to £43,000 FTE per annum
Contract: Part time, permanent
Reports to: CEO
Work base: Home-based within the UK
Right to work requirements: We are only able to consider applicants who are eligible to work in the UK
Be part of a small but dynamic organisation that makes headlines in January and throughout the year!
Veganuary is a non-profit organisation that encourages people worldwide to try a vegan lifestyle for January and beyond. Veganuary’s popular culture appeal and positive approach to veganism is making a measurable difference for animals, sparing millions of lives since our launch in 2014. We proactively support people and businesses alike to achieve this.
After hitting a milestone at the end of 2020 of over one million participants who have pledged to try a vegan diet since our launch, it is indeed an exciting time to join our international team of talented, valued and committed staff who enjoy their ability to collaboratively contribute to this amazing cause.
You will support the organisation across a broad range of legal and compliance matters both in the UK and abroad. This generalist role is being created at a time of international growth within the organisation and will report directly to the CEO.
Although a UK registered charity, we are currently active in Germany, the US, Chile, Argentina, Brazil and India. If you have a legal background within an international context and share our vision of a vegan world, we would love to hear from you!
The Legal Counsel will be responsible for the following exciting tasks:
- Providing legal and contract support and advice across all departments and legal areas affecting the organisation, to support our main strategic areas of work as a UK charity with international reach and staff (Media and Social Media, Marketing, Corporate Engagement, Fundraising)
- Drafting, implementing and maintaining legal policies, briefing notes for colleagues, MOUs and NDAs for third parties and other legal documents as required, in additon to providing legal advice for senior management on a variety of issues.
- Overseeing internal procedures to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, good corporate governance and the effective management of legal risk
- Liasing with our external data protection officer as well as external legal counsel in the UK and overseas
- Training staff on legal issues and compliance
The ideal candidate will be:
- A qualified lawyer with minimum of four years’ relevant experience in a similar role within an international context
- Fluent in English, other language skills are desirable
- Experienced in working in or with the non-profit, philanthropic or social enterprise sectors
- Able to demonstrate outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to work well in a team-driven environment
- Able to demonstrate exceptional organisational skills, including high attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Able to fulfull other reasonable duties that may be requiredCommitted to the vision and values of the organisation (detailed below)
We welcome applications from all legal disciplines, but a good knowledge of one or more of the following areas would be desireable: legal compliance requirements for UK charities, non-profit incorporation in the US / 501(c)(3) status, commercial law, contract law, GDPR compliance
Our vision is simple; we want a vegan world. A world without animal farms and slaughterhouses. A world where food production does not decimate forests, pollute rivers and oceans, exacerbate climate change, and drive wild animal populations to extinction.
Impact: we are committed to a vegan world; we will utilise research to evaluate how the highest number of lives can be spared and direct resources to that end.
Empowerment: we will optimise our outreach to support and encourage people on their vegan journey in a non-judgemental, positive, constructive and easily accessible way.
Collaboration: by partnering with other mission-driven organisations and working closely with corporates, we will make a bigger difference.
Diversity and inclusion: we know that it takes people with different ideas, strengths, interests and backgrounds to achieve our vision; we appreciate the value of this and how it brings us closer to achieving our mission.
Respect and integrity: in all internal and external relationships, we will strive for genuine, honest, and transparent communication.
Resilience: we will continue to create a professional and sustainable (human, social, economic and environmental) organisation.
Veganuary is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work culture that reflects and celebrates our diverse world. We therefore welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons, regardless of their ethnicity, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marriage and civil partnership status, or age. We recognise our duty as an employer to foster an environment that embraces diversity and are constantly reviewing our practices to become even more inclusive as an organisation. We also recognise that certain groups in our industry are under-represented – we welcome applications from all who meet the role’s requirements and are making efforts to attract a diverse pool of candidates to combat the lack of representation.
Please use the below Breathe link to submit your application, which must include your CV and a cover letter of no more than 1000 words by Friday 30th April at 23:59 GMT that answers the following questions:
- How did you find out about this role?
- Why do you want to work for Veganuary?
- What will you bring to our charity?
- When can you start?
- What is your salary expectation?
As an inclusive employer, reasonable adjustments can be made to allow any who require additional support to apply for this role. Please get in touch with us if you require such support.