Veganuary is looking for an experienced, decisive, self-motivated US Director to lead our growing US team and support us in our mission to create a better world for humans and animals alike.
Salary: $65,000 – $75,000 per annum depending on experience
Hours of work: Full-Time, permanent, 40 hours per week
Responsible to: International Head of Partnerships and Expansion
Work base: Home-based within the US, with occasional travel for events
Be part of a small, but dynamic organization that makes headlines in January and throughout the year!
Veganuary is a non-profit organization that encourages people worldwide to try a vegan lifestyle for January and beyond. Veganuary’s popular culture appeal, along with our positive and non-judgemental approach to veganism, is making a measurable difference for animals and the planet. We proactively support people and businesses alike to transition towards a plant-based world.
More than 2.5 million people have pledged to try a vegan diet since our launch in 2014, and this number is likely just the tip of the iceberg, as several studies have suggested that total participation in Veganuary is significantly larger than the number of individuals who register through our platforms alone. With plans to launch campaigns in 10 additional countries in the next 5 years, this is indeed a very exciting time to join our international team of talented, valued, and committed staff who enjoy their ability to collaboratively contribute to this amazing cause.
As a dynamic, creative, and confident US Director you will lead the Veganuary campaign in the US and support our talented US team in driving brand awareness, scaling up corporate activity, and increasing participation. You’ll be a driven campaigner, well-versed with advocacy movements, a natural networker, an opportunity-taker, and an opportunity-maker.
You’ll play a pivotal role in our organization as you continue to build the Veganuary brand in the US, growing relationships with companies, media, influencers, and other stakeholders. You’ll lead the implementation of Veganuary’s US marketing, press, and corporate engagement strategies by proactively identifying opportunities for making connections and increasing impact.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the region with measurable goals and objectives that align with Veganuary’s overall strategic plan, with support from the International Head of Partnerships and Expansion.
- Proactively identify and explore new opportunities for the organization to maximize impact and deliver on its mission in the US, including creating new projects and partnerships
- Grow awareness and positive reputation of the Veganuary brand amongst stakeholders, influencers, the media, corporations, other advocacy organizations, and potential supporters.
- Lead, mentor, and develop a team of both full-time staff members and freelancers, including recruiting additional staff as resources permit.
- Deliver an impactful marketing and PR campaign that maximizes Veganuary’s brand exposure in the US, creating bespoke marketing opportunities for the US audience, serving as a spokesperson, and contracting with external marketing and advertising entities as necessary.
- Oversee the creation, translation, and adaptation of high-quality communications content, including press releases, pitches, email/web/social content, and general campaign resources. Uphold international brand and style guidelines.
- Oversee our corporate engagement work in the US, supporting staff in building relationships with major food brands, creating pitch materials, selecting targets, and identifying opportunities for mutual benefit.
- Collaborate with other areas of the organization and participate on international teams like the Marketing Team, Corporate Engagement Team, etc. to ensure US is in alignment with global strategy.
- Undertake appropriate domestic or international travel to accomplish the responsibilities of the role.
- Ensure that key campaign outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum organizational impact.
- Ensure that Veganuary adheres to all government guidelines and regulations in the US.
- Undertake any further duties that may reasonably be required of the role.
- Native English speaker, currently residing in the US.
- A minimum of 4 years’ relevant experience in a similar role
- Line management experience
- Project management experience
- Strong communication skills, interpersonal and relationship development skills, with the ability to relate effectively to and influence people at all levels and represent the organization externally including with other non-profit organizations, corporate businesses, and donors.
- Experience public speaking and delivering campaign messages succinctly and persuasively through TV, radio, written media and talks to live audiences.
- Demonstrable experience in: Developing and implementing successful communications and marketing strategies; designing and delivering effective campaign tactics using social media; producing high quality written communications, such as social media posts, blogs, pitches and press releases.
- Previous experience working within the nonprofit sector.
- Complete alignment to the values of Veganuary as a vegan organization as well as a thorough understanding of all aspects of veganism.
- A demonstrable ability to work proactively and collaboratively.
Our vision is simple; we want a vegan world. A world without animal farms and slaughterhouses. A world where food production does not decimate forests, pollute rivers and oceans, exacerbate climate change, and drive wild animal populations to extinction.
Impact: we are committed to a vegan world; we will utilise research to evaluate how the highest number of lives can be spared and direct resources to that end.
Empowerment: we will optimize our outreach to support and encourage people on their vegan journey in a non-judgemental, positive, constructive and easily accessible way.
Collaboration: by partnering with other mission-driven organizations and working closely with corporates, we will make a bigger difference.
Diversity and inclusion: we know that it takes people with different ideas, strengths, interests and backgrounds to achieve our vision; we appreciate the value of this and how it brings us closer to achieving our mission.
Respect and integrity: in all internal and external relationships, we will strive for genuine, honest, and transparent communication.
Resilience: we will continue to create a professional and sustainable (human, social, economic and environmental) organisation.
Applications for this role are only being accepted via the Idealist platform. You will be required to submit your CV and a cover letter of no more than 750 words that answers the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for Veganuary?
- What will you bring to our charity?
- When can you start?
This job advert will close on 30th March 2023 at 23:59. We will review all applications after the advert has closed.
As an inclusive employer, reasonable adjustments can be made to allow any who require additional support to apply for this role. Please get in touch with us if you require such support.
Veganuary is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to creating an inclusive work culture that reflects and celebrates our diverse world. We therefore welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons, regardless of their ethnicity, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marriage and civil partnership status, or age. We recognise our duty as an employer to foster an environment that embraces diversity and are constantly reviewing our practices to become even more inclusive as an organisation. We also recognise that certain groups in our industry are under-represented – we welcome applications from all who meet the role’s requirements and are making efforts to attract a diverse pool of candidates to combat the lack of representation.