These muffin are spot on for the morning as the bananas are perfect for that slow-release energy boost which keeps you going until lunch. This recipe is also a great way to work ground flaxseed into your diet. That stuff is magical! It's chock full of omega-3 essential fatty acids, antioxidants and fibre among many other things.
Pre-heat the oven to 350f / 185c / Gas Mark 5
1) Mix up the two flax “eggs” by adding the ground flax to the water and set to one side.
2) Combine the wholewheat flour, self-raising flour, baking powder and granulated sugar in a bowl.
3) Mash the bananas and to this add your plant-based milk of choice oil, vanilla and two flax “eggs”. Stir well to combine all of the ingredients.
4) Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, add the wet and mix together until they are just to say combined. Don’t over-mix as you will rid the batter of air and give it less of a rise when baking.
5) Spoon your mixture into your muffin cases and bake for 18-22 minutes.
6) Before putting them into the oven, you can choose to sprinkle a little more ground flax over the top but it’s not essential.
7) You will know they’re done when you insert a toothpick which comes out dry. Once there is no batter on the toothpick, remove from the oven as overbaking will lead to dried out muffins.
8) These will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container or you can individually freeze them once completely cooled. Individual freezing is a great method for those who struggle to make time for breakfast as you can take one out of the freezer and place it into the fridge the day before and it’s really to grab the next morning.