I love Chana Masala. I love chickpeas in general, but doing them this way just makes them even more delicious. There seem to be quite a few different recipes out there, and I know a few call for amchoor and but I didn't have any in the cupboard so I used tamarind powder instead. You could also use lemon juice if you don't have tamarind. I make mine quite spicy but you can adjust to suit your own taste.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion
- As soon as the onions begin to soften, add the chillies and mix well
- Add the garlic and ginger
- As soon as the garlic and ginger start to cook, add the powdered spices (and lemon juice if using) & mix well
- Add the chickpeas and stir into the spices
- Add the chopped tomatoes, fill the can with water and add to the pan
- Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer
- Keep stirring occasionally until cooked
- Season as required
- Serve with rice
We love curries! Follow this link for more mouth-watering vegan curry recipes!