A Spanish favourite.
- Soak the saffron threads in a bowl of water and set off to the side.
- If you are adding any vegetable protein heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the tempeh/seitan or tofu on either side for a few minutes until golden, remove and set aside.
- In a large paella pan heat the olive oil and add the garlic, onion and tomatoes and sauté until soft.
- Add the sweet peppers, green beans, and cover with the bouillon stock.
- Add the tamari and leave to simmer at a low heat for 30 minutes or more until the vegetables are al dente, adding more water if necessary.
- Add the rice one handful at a time along with the tempeh, seitan or tofu (if using), and then add the saffron threads and the soaking water, adding some more water if required.
- Cover with some foil and simmer for half an hour until the rice is also soft to the bite.
- Serve with lemon wedges on the side of the pan.