Medjool dates are very large dates that are sold in large branches of supermarkets or good greengrocers. They have a beautiful butterscotch type flavour and are much nicer than the traditional smaller variety. Alternatively, use fresh figs cut in half.
- Mix arrowroot into the sherry/water, whisking well.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Add the sugar and vanilla extract and simmer for a few minutes – until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let it cool – you want the sauce to be just warm.
- Split the dates with a sharp knife and spoon cream cheese into each one. Place the dates on a serving plate, drizzle the sauce artistically around them and serve.