What a fantastic way to eat heart healthy whole grain brown rice. The dish is spiced just enough to please all palates and goes well with or in a burrito
Recipe Notes: Cooked rice is a staple that keeps well in the fridge and is at the ready for eating plain or adorned. You are limited only by your imagination. I always rinse my rice to remove surface starches and let it sit for ten minutes after cooking to prevent it from being sticky. No stirring during cooking needed.
- Stir fry the onions and garlic in 1/4 cup veggie broth on medium high (add more if necessary) being careful not to burn garlic. 5-6 minutes should do the trick.
- When onions are soft, add the spices and stir for one to two minutes until fragrant.
- Add chopped tomato and stir fry for one minute or so.
- Add tomato paste, incorporate well and cook for an additional one to two minutes.
- Rinse rice in a mesh colander and add to onion mixture. Stir fry for one minute until rice is well coated.
- Add the veggie broth, cover and turn rice down to a simmer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and let rice sit, covered for ten minutes.
- Fluff up with a fork and add salt and pepper to taste.