For the Mince
- Rinse soya mince with cold water and soak in hot water for 20 minutes. Drain from water and squeeze out with your hand the remaining water.
- Sauté onions in oil until translucent, add garlic and carrot and cook for a few minutes, be careful not to burn the garlic. Add soya mince, wine, tomato juice and cook until liquids are absorbed. When most of the liquids are absorbed add parsley, oregano and thyme.
For the Béchamel sauce
- Put flour and milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly so that the flour does not stick to the bottom. Cook until it bubbles a bit. When it starts to bubble add nutritional yeast, cheese, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well and remove from heat.
For the Pasta
- Boil pasta according to instructions on the packet, do not overcook since the pasta will be further cooked in the oven later.
- Layer 2/3 of the boiled pasta in a baking dish. Sprinkle the pasta with 5 tbsp vegan cheese and 1 1/2 tbsp spearmint. Pour mince mix on top of the pasta. Add as the third layer the rest of the pasta, with 2 tbsp vegan cheese and 1/2 tbsp spearmint. Pour the béchamel sauce on the pasta and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Bake until the pastitsio gets a lightly brown colour, approximately 30 minutes.