Rice pudding is a very traditional Portuguese dessert, made with cow's milk and eggs. Here - the same flavour - veganised.
- Rinse the rice with water until the water is clear.
- Put the washed rice in a big saucepan with the water, salt, cinnamon stick and lemon rind.
- Cook it on medium heat until the water has evaporated.
- Then add the milk (don’t let the rice stick or burn) and wait till it bubbles; keep stirring.
- Now add the sugar and keep stirring for some minutes until everything is creamy.
- Even if it’s a bit runny, don’t worry, it will thicken once it’s cold.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon zest.
- Pour everything into a low dish and let it cool down, as it cools down it will thicken more.
- When it is cold have fun decorating with cinnamon powder.
Like this recipe? Sign up to Veganuary today to get recipes like this delivered directly to your inbox.