A dish you can eat almost any time of day!
A few easy steps to refried beans:
- Heat about 4 tbsp of sesame oil in a heavy frying pan or a wok, over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and sliced onion and sauté until softened and beginning to brown, about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the coriander.
- Add the cooked beans, and using a big spoon, or potato masher start mashing the beans in the oil.
- The unique taste of refried beans occurs as a result of slowly frying the starches inside the beans in the oil, so you want to add the beans a little bit at a time if you are using more than one jar. This way of cooking the beans makes sure they all get fried and take on the flavours of the vegetables and coriander.
- Once all the beans have been mashed add the shoyu or tamari and a little water, until you get the texture that you want. Keep it a bit looser than you eventually want, as they will continue to firm up as they cool off the heat.
- These will also freeze well, so it’s a good idea to make more than you need. The recipe above can be easily doubled or more.
- Warm the corn tortillas in a dry frying pan for a few minutes either side.
- Remove to a plate.
- Spread with some vegan mayonnaise, fill with salad and top with the beans and some relish or salsa if desired.
- If you prefer a hot spicy taste adjust the ingredients accordingly.