A light and flavoursome savoury pancake, perfect as a meal accompaniment or snack, filled with your favourite ingredients or served with dips!
- Preparing the pancake batter: Soak the gram flour in water and soya yoghurt for approximately 2 hours.
- Start warming a frying pan. When it’s slightly hot, grease the pan and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Then use a kitchen paper to wipe off the salt and oil from the pan.
- Add the salt, powdered black pepper, ginger and ajwain seeds (if using) to the gram flour batter, and mix
- Into a teacup, add some gram flour batter, then add a quarter teaspoon of fruit salt or bicarbonate of
soda, stir vigorously, and immediately pour onto the heated pan in a circular motion.
- Work very quickly to make the pancake circular, thin and approximately 6 inches in diameter.
- While the top side of the pancake is wet, sprinkle the chopped coriander, spinach, tomatoes and
onions onto it.
- Cook the pancake on medium heat, and don’t let it burn.
- After a couple of minutes, check whether the pancake is easy to lift off the pan and if the
underside has cooked to golden brown. Add oil to the pancake edge if necessary to lift the
- If the pancake has turned to golden brown, turn the pancake over and let it cook on the other
side. If not, add a little oil to the pancake edge let it cook.
- When cooked on both sides, remove the cooked pancake and serve.
Makes 4 pancakes.