As vegans, we have to be mindful of what ingredients will act as decent substitute options so that we can still enjoy a fudgy brownie, a crisp cookie, or a fluffy cheesecake.
Let's see just what goes into a delicious, completely plant-based sticky toffee pudding!
Thank you to Rumsy's Noose for suppllying us with the information in this blog post!
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Line a 24cm round springform cake tin with baking paper
- Soak the dates in boiling water for at least 20 minutes
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the plant milk and stir to combine. Let the mixture sit until it has thickened slightly
- Add all of the pear ingredients to a medium saucepan and simmer until the pears are just tender (+/- 15 minutes). Drain and allow to cool
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand-mixer
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk mixture, and melted coconut oil, until well combined. Mix in the date mixture and molasses
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin
- Spread the cooled poached pears evenly over the top of the mixture
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Allow to cool.
- Now make the caramel sauce. Add the sugar to a small saucepan and place over high heat, stirring constantly
- When the sugar starts to get very clumpy, turn the heat to low, and continue to stir constantly until the sugar is completely melted and no lumps remain. (+/- 10 minutes)
- Add the coconut milk/cream by the spoonful, and mix vigorously
- Add the salt and vanilla extract
- Turn the heat back to high and mix until the mixture is smooth
- Allow to cool slightly before pouring over the pudding