Don’t fancy baking tonight? The wonderful invention of the microwave has made it possible to have a single-serve cake ready in 2 minutes flat.
On my quest to make the perfect mug cake, I’ve tried many a recipe, but they never quite manage to hit the spot. I’ve taken the best bits from the many recipes I’ve tried out in the past and have finally landed on this – the perfect triple chocolate mug cake recipe.
The triple chocolate hit comes from the cocoa powder, the chocolate chips and the crumbled Oreos. If you don’t have Oreos on hand, the cake will still be good without them, but they do add a little something! The dark horse of this recipe that you definitely can’t leave out is the peanut butter. If you’re looking for a nut-free cake, however, substituting with a seed butter like Sunflower Seed butter should work well too!
- 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp plant milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy both work well, depending on preference)
- A pinch of salt
- two Oreos
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients together in a large microwavable mug, aside from the Oreos and chocolate chips.
- Mix together until a smooth batter forms. Note that it won’t be entirely smooth if you use crunchy peanut butter.
- Once the mixture is totally combined, break up the Oreos, keeping them quite chunky. Add them into the mixture, along with the chocolate chips and mix in gently.
- Put the cake in the microwave for a minute.
- Check the cake is cooked. If it’s still a little runny, microwave for another 10-30 seconds, checking it every 10 seconds or so.
- Once it’s cooked, you can either tip it out onto a plate or enjoy it straight from the mug!
There are tonnes of other simple vegan recipes out there – check out some of our favourites here!