Fiona Oakes is an inspirational vegan marathon runner, firefighter and runs an animal sanctuary.
Her running achievements include:
- National cycling titles (before becoming a runner)
- Finished in the Top 10 in the following marathons: Florence, Moscow & Amsterdam and Nottingham.
- Finished in the Top 20 at the London and Berlin marathons.
- 1st place at the 2011 Great North Run (for her age category)
- Completed the 2012 Marathon des Sables, a 156 mile event across the sand dunes and rough terrain of the Sahara Desert.
- The fastest woman ever to complete a marathon on all continents.
- Personal best for a marathon is 2.38.00
What makes Fiona’s achievements incredible is she also runs Tower Hills Stables Animal Sanctuary while training and competing at the highest levels. She regularly gets up at 3.30 in the morning to muck out the 400 animals in her care, and competes in marathons to help fund the £5000 per month sanctuary costs.
Having such a close bond to her animals, she’s a big proponent of veganism. She became a vegetarian when she was 4 years old and then became a vegan at the age of twelve.
In an interview with Viva La Vegan she has stated:
‘Obviously, the health benefits of being vegan are written in stone but I honestly believe the most benefit to me being vegan is that I do not carry the burden of guilt that I would have to endure knowing that I abused others for my own ‘benefit’.’