- Blend the rice vinegar, tamari, dates and one pineapple ring to a fine paste.
- Either mince or finely grate the garlic cloves.
- Cut the remaining pineapple and bell peppers into 1-inch cube-shape pieces.
- Drain the water from the tofu, and cut the tofu into 1-inch cube-shape pieces.
- Slice the chillies and spring onions into rings.
- Warm up a non-stick pan and keep on low heat.
- When the pan is warm, add the tofu pieces.
- As the tofu pieces cook they will release water – simply allow the water to steam off.
- Toss the tofu pieces so that they do not stick to the pan.
- Let the pieces brown slightly, or cook until they are hot to touch.
- Increase the heat if the tofu pieces are not browning.
- Add the garlic and stir when necessary to prevent the garlic from burning.
- When you get the aroma of the garlic, add the chillies and stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the spring onions.
- Let all the flavours blend. If using canned pineapple add the pineapple juice if the tofu is absorbing all the liquid.
- Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, or until all the tofu pieces have been coated well.
- Take off the heat and finally add the spring onions.
* This dish can be made in advance; heat it up before serving.
* This dish can be served with rice or noodles.