I love carrots and this recipe not only makes good use of a cheap and easily accessible vegetable, you also get to use natures candy dates. This is such a fun, raw recipe!
The key to this recipe is not to over blend as you need the mixture to stay firm and try to get as much of the excess moisture out from the carrots as possible. You must squeeze all the excess moisture out otherwise it will be to wet, cheese cloth/old clean tights will do the trick.
1) Put the walnuts into a food processor and pulse until they look crumbly, then add the dates and pulse again.
2) Add the grated carrot and spices and pulse until the mixture starts to look dough-like, add raisins and pulse for another thirty seconds – be careful not to over mix here, better less than more.
3) Your mixture is done (I dare you not to eat it), it’s that easy! Use whatever ramekins you like and push the carrot cake mixture down into your chosen tins and refrigerate for at least one hour.
4) Meanwhile you can make the frosting. Drain the cashews and dates and put them in your food processor along with the lemon juice and salt.
5) You’ll probably need to add a little water to get the mixture moving, blend until smooth and creamy.
Congratulations, you now have sweet, delicious frosting with no fake sugars or flavourings, welcome to the world of raw vegan cuisine!
6) Take your carrot cakes from the fridge and pop them out of their ramekins, get piping with the icing then go and make yourself a nice refreshing juice or tea and get stuck in.