Tempeh is an excellent vegetarian source of protein. Mild and nutty in flavour, tempeh can be fried or baked and is also great in sandwiches. This particular dish is just so tasty!
- Preheat the oven to ± 190º F /370º C / Gas Mark 5.
- Slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, shoyu, hot sauce, (if using) garlic cloves, ginger and juice from one lemon. Whisk to combine and transfer to a large, zip-closed plastic bag.
- Place the sliced tempeh in the bag and gently massage it with your hands to coat all the pieces. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds to a shallow bowl.
- Remove the tempeh from the marinade. Dip each side of each piece of tempeh in the sesame seeds and set on a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, turn over and bake ten minutes on the other side until crisp and golden.
- Serve on a bed of steamed greens topped with some miso or natto relish or one of my tasty sauces or chutneys.
This also makes great ‘bento’ lunches, delicious to eat cold the following day. Use in sandwiches stacked with fresh salad greens, cucumber and vegan mayo.