- Boil the pearl barley in a separate pan for approximately 30-40 minutes.
- In a large stew pan, fry off the onion until lightly browned, adding in each of the seasonings.
- Add the butternut squash and a touch of water to help it soften. Steam for around 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and steam for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and tinned tomatoes, bringing the whole mix to the boil.
- Simmer for another 30 minutes, adding the chickpeas and kale after around 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pearl barley and stir thoroughly.
- Serve with a sprig of parsley on the top! Season to taste.