Get yourself ready for a crisp autumn morning with this warming spiced porridge.
Pre-heat the grill on a medium-high setting.
- Wash the pears, slice in half lengthways and scoop out the core. Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with the sugar and spices. Grill the pears for around 20-25 minutes whilst you prepare the porridge.
- Place a saucepan on a low-medium heat and add the oats, spices and milk.
- Wash the apple and grate it before adding it to the saucepan straight away before it browns. Stir the porridge well whilst it cooks to ensure you get a nice creamy porridge.
- Whilst the porridge cooks, heat a frying pan on a high heat and add the hazelnuts. Shake occasionally to prevent burning until the skins start to peel away. Transfer onto some kitchen towel and leave to cool slightly before rubbing in the towel to remove the skins. Meanwhile toast the pumpkin seeds in the frying pan, shaking the pan until they start to pop then transfer into a bowl to cool.
- When the porridge starts to thicken you may need to add some water, up to 50ml to get your preferred consistency. (I always find how much liquid you require can vary quite dramatically depending on what oats you use). After 15-20 minutes you should have perfect creamy porridge ready to serve.
- Chop the toasted hazelnuts and sprinkle over along with the pumpkin seeds. Finally top with the grilled pears.