What better way to complete an alfresco feast on a balmy evening than with a good old-fashioned summer pudding?
Take the freshest of seasonal berries and allow them to magically transform a loaf of bread into this delectable summertime dessert.
- Cut the bread into neat fingers.
- Slowly heat the sugar and water together in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the fruit and simmer gently for about 7-10 minutes. Reserve a few spoonfuls of juice.
- Line the base and sides of a 1 litre basin with bread fingers.
- Add half of the hot fruit and cover with more bread fingers. Pour in remaining fruit and top with the remaining bread. Cover with a saucer or plate and place a heavy weight on top.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Turn out onto a plate. If there are any white patches, spoon a little of the reserved juice over them.
- Serve with your favourite vegan cream or ice cream alternative. Elderflower sorbet would make a light, refreshing, summery accompaniment.