Slow roasted Italian dinner. Turning mushrooms into meat is one of the things we do best.
For the mushrooms
4 clusters of brown oyster mushrooms, ends removed
1/2 t garlic granulated
1 t Italian seasoning
pinch of coarse sea salt
pinch of pepper
several cherry tomatoes
2 C of tomato sauce
one recipe of Pasta a la Kale di Garlico
parsley, to garnish
To press the mushrooms
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°.
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, add oil, add cluster mushrooms.
3. Cook for a few minutes, then add a second cast-iron pan to the top and let naturally press.
4. Gently press on pan evenly. The mushrooms will start to release their liquid. When the liquid reduces a bit, remove the top skillet.
5. Sprinkle garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper over mushrooms.
6. Flip clusters so that the seasoned side is down. Searing them will allow them to caramelize and char. Repeat this process until mushrooms are golden brown and compressed clusters.
7. Add a splash of oil if needed. Remove from heat when ready.
To bake the mushrooms
1. Add cooked mushrooms to casserole pan. Add cherry tomatoes, and cover with the tomato sauce evenly.
2. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool before slicing.
1. Carve the mushroom steaks and serve over Pasta a la Kale di Garlico.
2. Garnish with parsley.
Want to see more great recipe videos? See all of the Wicked Healthy Recipe Videos.