This wicked cheese sauce is awesome. Creamy and delicious, it’s perfect for making macaroni and cheese, drizzling over nachos or sprinkling on a pizza. What makes the cheese sauce even better is that plant based, healthy and easy to make. Be sure to give it a try next time that craving hits.
Serves: 2 cups of cheeze
½ large head cauliflower, roughly chopped
½ C (62 grams) raw cashews, soaked at least an hour or overnight.
7 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
enough water to cover to boil
2 T nutritional yeast
1 T miso paste
2 t smoked paprika
½ t coarse sea salt
pinch ground black pepper
2 packages of Follow Your Heart PepperJack Slices (or your favourite vegan cheese)
1 C (230 ml) of your favourite unsweetened, plant-based milk, plus a little more, if needed
1. Add the first 5 ingredients to a small saucepan and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until cauliflower is soft and easy to pierce with a fork.
2. Remove from heat.
3. Pour pot contents through strainer, reserving some water for the blending, and add contents to a high-speed blender.
4. Add about ½ cup (125 ml) of reserved cooking liquid to the blender, then add nutritional yeast, miso paste, smoked paprika, salt, pepper.
5. Start blender on low and slowly increase the speed to high.
6. Use the tamper to push all the ingredients into the blade.
7. With the blender running, break up the packages of cheese and add to the mixture.
8. As everything comes together, it will form a pretty thick mass.
9. Slowly add plant-based milk to the blender, tamping down, and keeping close eye on the consistency.
10. When the texture is smooth, creamy, and pourable, the cheeze sauce is done.
Want to see more great recipe videos? See all of the Wicked Healthy Recipe Videos.