Autumn is the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness… and crumble! One of the joys of early autumn has to be blackberry picking. One for the box, one for you, and so on. Bliss.
- Wash the fruit. Core the apples and chop into cubes, roughly 2cm. Take a third of the chopped apples and simmer in a little water with the agave nectar and cinnamon.
- Once they become soft and pulpy and can be lightly mashed with a wooden spoon to form a sauce, add the remaining apples and soften slightly for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the blackberries gently so as not to crush them.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish and preheat your oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Meanwhile, rub the vegan margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, then stir in the oats and sugar.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping onto the fruit filling and press it down lightly. Scatter a little extra sugar all over the top, then pop in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Serve hot with lashings and lashings of vegan custard!