I like experimenting and felt like some French toast one morning. I had some cannellini (navy) bean brine (aquafaba/AF) in the fridge and wondered if I could use that... It worked perfectly and my non-vegan husband demolished his plate in seconds!
- Switch your oven in and put the tray inside. This is to keep cooked slices warm while cooking more.
- Whisk the brine/AF until it reaches ribbon stage, mine only needed 4-5 mins in my stand mixer on med-high speed.
- Add the yolk mix (if it is very stiff add a little more water, it should be the consistency of washing up liquid!) and salt and pepper. Continue whisking for another minute.
- Now add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, make sure it is well combined each time.
- Transfer to the flat bottomed dish. Cut you bread in half diagonally. Place 4 pieces in the AF mix. Turn to coat both sides. It won’t sink into the bread very much but that’s OK. (See pic)
- Heat your pan to med-hot, pour in a tbsp of veg oil and pop your slices in. Do not try to move them until the AF mix looks melted on the top side.
- Use a spatula, you may need to work a little to separate the slice from the pan but again that’s OK. Flip and do the same again. Each side should be golden brown.
- Put slices in oven to keep warm. Serve with maple syrup.