If you love entertaining and are looking for something a little different to delight your guests, go for a twist on typical finger food with sweet canapés. Try our chic and summery Fruit Nigiri Sushi and be sure to make an impact!
- Rinse the rice well using a sieve until the water runs clear. Drain thoroughly in a colander and allow to dry for 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice with the cold water and bring to a boil over a high heat. Cover and cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to a low heat and cook for a further 10 minutes. The rice should be tender and the water absorbed.
- Remove from the heat but keep covered and stand for 15 minutes.
- (Alternatively, if you have a rice cooker, that can be used to cook the rice.)
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the coconut milk, sugar, salt, cardamom pods and optional mirin. Warm over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the cardamom pods and allow the coconut mixture to cool a little.
- Add to the rice and gently stir through. Keep stirring until all the liquid is incorporated. Cover the rice with a clean damp tea towel.
- Take spoonfuls of rice, one at a time, and shape into rectangles with rounded ends. Press firmly but gently without squashing the rice.
- Brush the top of each piece of nigiri with jam and top with a fruit slice, applying just enough pressure to secure it in place.
- Do not refrigerate the nigiri before serving. Consume the same day. Serve with small dipping bowls of raspberry coulis, if desired.