17th March, 2022 — Veganuary, the global organisation encouraging people to try vegan in January and beyond, has today released the results from its 2022 participant survey* – the only survey that polls official Veganuary sign-ups – and they show most plan to make permanent diet changes. More than 629,000 people from 228 countries and territories took part in Veganuary 2022, breaking all previous records.
Here’s what Veganuary’s 2022 participants revealed about themselves:
• Almost half (44%) said animals were their number one motivation for trying vegan, followed by personal health (21%) and the environment (19%). Other reasons included for a change/challenge/curiosity (7%), global health (5%) and for a friend/partner/family member (2%)**
• Half (51%) were still eating meat and/or fish when they signed up to take part, 32% were vegetarian and 17% were vegan
When asked about their Veganuary experience:
• Before participating in Veganuary, 31% of those who were not already vegan planned to stay vegan at the end of their pledge but after participating 36% now plan to stay vegan
• Seventy-four percent of those not staying vegan plan to at least halve their intake of animal products going forward and 76% are very/extremely likely to try vegan again in the future
• In total, 83% of participants who were not already vegan when they signed up will permanently change their diet either by staying vegan or at least halving their intake of animal products
• The number one reason people decided to stay vegan is that they learned more about veganism (25%), followed by it being easier than expected (20%) and improved health (20%)
• Half saw some improvement to their overall health, with increased energy (49%), improved mood (48%), better skin (39%) and desired change in body weight (37%) being the most common benefits
• Ninety-eight percent would recommend Veganuary to a friend or family member
Commenting on the results, Veganuary’s International Head of Communications, Toni Vernelli, said: “These incredible results show that Veganuary is so much more than a one-month pledge as taking part leads to lasting diet change for most participants. With 83% of our 2022 participants planning to at least halve their intake of animal products permanently – including 36% who plan to stay fully vegan, Veganuary really is driving positive change for the planet, people and animals. ”
She added: “We work very hard to equip our participants with as much useful advice, delicious recipes and friendly support as possible, so it’s very rewarding to know that 98% would recommend Veganuary to others! This figure has been consistent for several years, demonstrating the value of Veganuary’s work in making plant-based eating easy and accessible for everyone.”
*The survey was sent by Veganuary to 87% of the 629,351 people who signed up during the 2022 campaign. 32,522 people responded (6%).
Toni Vernelli, International Head of Communications
07505 866 548