Akshay Kumar submitted these healthy, savory Indian pancakes for Veganuary’s 2022 Indian Celebrity eCookbook.
For even more delicious celebrity recipes, download your copy of the Celebrity Cookbook.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes (approximately)
Prep Time: 6 minutes (approximately)
1 cup Besan (chickpea flour)
¼ cup chopped cilantro
½ tsp finely chopped ginger
½ tsp finely chopped green chilis
¼ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup finely chopped tomato
1. Put 1 cup besan (chickpea flour) in a large bowl.
2. Add the cilantro, ginger, green chilis, onion, and tomato.
3. Add pinches of salt and turmeric powder to taste. Mix well.
4. Add ½ to 1 cup of water and mix well. The consistency of the batter should be thick but drippy.
5. Take a non-stick pan, and grease it with a little oil. Then, from the center of the pan, pour in a ladle-full of batter. Gently circle the batter outward making a flat round shape.
6. On low flame, cook the Chilla until light golden and crispy. Add oil on the sides if needed. Flip and turn only when it’s firm, so that it doesn’t break.
7. Fold and serve hot. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
*This recipe has been adapted slightly for the US audience.