READY IN: 2HR 50MIN
2 cups vegan cookies
1/4 cup blanched hazelnuts, plus extra for decorating
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp vegan butter
14 oz can of coconut milk
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate to decorate (optional)
1. Line the base of an 8 inch tart tin with baking paper.
2. Add the vegan cookies, hazelnuts, cocoa powder, and maple syrup to a food processor. Then melt the vegan butter in a microwave and add it to the food processor. Process the mixture until broken down and it holds together when pressed between your fingers. Transfer the base mixture to the tart tin and use your fingers to evenly spread it across the base and sides.
3. Next transfer 3 tablespoons of the coconut milk to a small bowl and stir in the corn starch until it forms a paste. Then add the remaining coconut milk to a saucepan over a medium-high heat along with the vanilla extract, sugar, pinch of salt, and corn starch paste from earlier. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until it forms a thick caramel.
4. Pour the caramel straight into the tart tin and leave to cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to set for 2 hours.
5. When you’re ready to serve, slice the bananas into thin rings and lay them over the caramel. Next, pour the heavy cream into a mixing bowl and whisk until it forms stiff peaks and has doubled in size. Spoon the whipped cream over the bananas and spread it all over the pie.
6. To finish, roughly chop a handful of hazelnuts and the dark chocolate, then sprinkle both all over the banoffee pie.