Hearty and comforting are two words that perfectly describe this protein-rich dish submitted for Veganuary’s Celebrity eCookbook by actor Evanna Lynch.
For even more delicious celebrity recipes, download your copy of the Celebrity Cookbook.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes approximately
For the mashed potatoes:
1.5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tbsp vegan butter
For the bean filling:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 cup azuki beans
1 cup kidney beans
1 cup borlotti/cranberry beans
1 tsp dried thyme
1 handful fresh parsley
Glug vegan red wine (optional)
12.5 oz. vegetable broth
1 heaped tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp tomato paste
1. Heat the oven to 360F.
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes until soft. Drain, mash with the vegan butter, and season with black pepper. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pan, sauté the onion in the olive oil gently until it softens. Add the garlic and mushrooms, and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring to ensure the garlic does not burn.
4. Add the pepper, carrots, beans, and herbs. Stir well.
5. Add a glug of wine (if using) and the broth. Bring to the boil and let it simmer uncovered for 8 minutes or until the carrots have softened.
6. In a small dish, mix the corn starch with 2 tbsp. cold water, then stir it into the liquid to thicken it. Add the tomato paste.
7. Remove from the heat and pour into a baking dish. Cover with the mashed potato and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is starting to brown