1 block of firm tofu
For the Batter:
60g plain flour
60g corn flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
120ml cold water
For the Sauce:
60ml white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
60g brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn flour
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
Obsessed with your air fryer? You’ll go crazy for this sweet and sour air fryer tofu recipe by Stu Henshall and Cauldron! Packed with protein and plant-based flavour, this recipe is an easy dinner you can enjoy any night of the week.
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add the cold water, whisking until a smooth batter forms.
2. Cube or rip tofu and dip the tofu pieces into the batter, coating well, and place them in a single layer in the air-fryer basket.
3. Air-fry the battered tofu at 190°C for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crispy and golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan whisk together the white vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and corn flour until smooth. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and bubbles.
5. In a separate pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced bell peppers and onion, and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until tender-crisp.
6. Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the stir-fried veggies, and stir to combine.
7. Serve the crispy battered tofu with the sweet and sour sauce and stir-fried veggies. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with rice or noodles.
Did you like this recipe? Check out this air-fried tofu katsu too.