• 1 cup cashews
• 1 tsp cornstarch
• ½ cup sugar
• ¼ cup water
• ½ tsp ground cardamom
• ¼ tsp saffron
• ½ tsp oil
The quintessential mithai. Prepare it in bulk and gift away to friends and family this festive season
1. Powder the cashews in a dry blender. Add in the cornstarch (make sure it is a fine powder). Blend well.
2. Heat the water in a saucepan, add in the sugar and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir well and continue to simmer. The mixture will bubble up as it thickens.
3. Now put a pea sized amount aside in as spoon and let it cool. Place a little drop on the tip of your index finger and touch it with your thumb a few times to check if the liquid has attained a single thread consistency. If not, continue to simmer till it is achieved.
4. Now add the cardamom and mix it in.
5. Add in the cashew powder a few spoons at a time while stirring. Once all the powder is in, the mixture will thicken considerably. Continue mixing till it becomes an even and thick paste.
6. Transfer it on to a greased plate or tray and let it cool a little till it is comfortable to touch. Pat it down to an even shape along the surface to achieve desired thickness, typically under one centimeter.
7. Set aside to cool and use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut into diamond shaped katlis.
8. Voila, you’re done! Take a big bite and enjoy.