Whether on a fast or just in the mood for a quick snack, this tasty and traditional recipe works for both.
Ingredients (serves 6)
• 4 potatoes, boiled and peeled
• 250 gm Kuttu ka aata (Buckwheat flour)
• 2 green chillies, finely chopped
• 1/2 tsp ginger, grated
• Sendha namak or rock salt to taste
• 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
• Some fresh mint leaves, chopped
• 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
• 1/2 cup water
1. Mash the potatoes in a large bowl.
2. Add kuttu atta with chillies, ginger, rock salt, cumin, and lemon juice. Mix well, adding in the water.
3. Heat oil in a pan on high flame. Gently slide in the potato-atta mixture into the oil one spoonful at a time. Roll them around so they fry evenly. Remove from oil when crispy. It is natural for the pakoras to be a little dark in colour.
5. Garnish pakoras with fresh mint and serve hot with mint chutney or ketchup.