Recipe provided by Vegan First
Have you tried using jackfruit as a meat substitute? If you haven’t, you’re missing out working with the healthy, delicious, widely available and economical meat-replacer.
250g jackfruit (Kathal) cut to pieces of the same size
1 glass Basmati Rice
2 tablespoons Oil
3 pods of Green cardamom
1-2 pods Black cardamom
1 inch stick Cinnamon
3 medium-sized Onions
4 medium-sized Tomatoes
Spices (To taste) – Salt, Degi mirch, Garam masala, Dhaniya powder, Haldi
2-3 Green chillies
2 teaspoons Ginger garlic paste
1. Fry the jackfruit till medium brown in colour.
2. Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a pan and add oil and whole spices to it.
4. Chop onions to small pieces and add to the oil , fry till light brown. Next add the ginger-garlic paste and green chillies.
5. Add salt , turmeric, red chillies, dhaniya powder. Fry for a minute and add the fried jackfruit.
6. Add puréed tomatoes to mix and cover pan and cook till the oil separates.
7. Sprinkle some garam masala and add 1 cup water. Cook until it reaches the consistency of a thick gravy.
8. Boil rice in 3 glasses of salted water and cook till i’s 75% done. Strain and wash under fresh water.
9. Heat a pan (kadhai) and add a layer of rice. Add a layer of the prepared jackfruit gravy on top of it. Spread some coriander.
10. Repeat step 9
11. Cover and cook on a low flame for ten minutes.
12. Serve hot with green chutney and onions.