250 gm button mushrooms, quartered
1 cup shelled peas
½ cup cashew cream*
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
5-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
A small piece of ginger, crushed
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
A small stick of cinnamon
1-2 bay leaves
1 pod brown cardamom
1 pod green cardamom
1-2 dried red chillies, broken into pieces
½ tsp garam masala
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp pepper powder
Salt, to taste
1 cup water
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
*To make cashew cream, soak ½ cup cashew nuts for a few hours or overnight. Drain and rinse well. Blend into a smooth paste using a few tablespoons of water.
Recipe provided by vegan first
A perfect combination of creaminess along with the goodness of mushroom and peas, this dish is just the right kind of accompaniment along with your dal and rice.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Enjoy this vegan first recipe? Why not try this millet cakes with pumpkin seed & peas pesto sauce too?
1. Grind the onion, tomato, garlic and ginger into a paste. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker/kadhai and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, brown cardamom, green cardamom, and dried red chillies.
3. Once the whole spices splutter and release their flavor, add the onion-tomato paste to it. Cook on low-medium heat for a few minutes until most of the moisture evaporates.
4. Add the turmeric powder, garam masala, cumin power, salt, and pepper powder. Cook for another 2-3 minutes and stir in the mushrooms and peas. Add a cup of water and cover the pressure cooker/kadhai. Let the curry cook on medium-high heat for a few minutes until the peas are tender.
5. Add the cashew cream and mix well. Simmer for a few minutes until the gravy reaches the desired consistency. Add more water if required. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Sign up to receive a celebrity e-cookbook along with 31 days of inspiring recipes, nutrition tips and more. All our resources are 100% free!