We are in love with this Southern Indian recipe. It is so simple and nourishing that we recommend making this your weekly staple after #PlantBasedNavratri
Ingredients (serves 4)
• 1 cup cowpeas
• 4 cups water
• 2 tbsp oil
• 1 tsp black mustard seeds
• 1 tsp urad dal (spilt black gram)
• Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
• 2 dry red chillies, seeds removed, or 2 green chillies chopped
• 10 to 12 curry leaves
• 2 tbsp freshly grated coconut
• Salt to taste
1. Rinse cowpeas and soak for 8 hours or overnight. Make sure to add sufficient water.
2. Drain the water and rinse well. Transfer to a pressure cooker, add 1 teaspoon salt and 2.5 cups water. Close the lid and let it cook till about 20 minutes.
3. Drain all the water from cooked cowpeas and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Now add in the mustard seeds and urad dal. Let them splatter and cook on a low flame as you stir. Cook till the dal turns brown.
5. Add curry leaves, hing and chillies. Fry for about 20 seconds.
6. Now add in the cowpeas, salt and saute for 4 minutes on medium heat.
7. Mix in the grated coconut and Sundal is ready!